Wednesday, February 20, 2008

An observation..which is of course rather obvious

In seven days, I will celebrate six months in Korea (which will also be Caitlin Smith's birthday!)...This is unbelievable. Had I not gone home for Christmas, I don't know how I would be feeling right now. But life right now is Seoul feels very normal I guess you could say. It always takes me awhile to get used to being in a different place. Every new experience I've had, I have always dreading going into and HATED at first! I like for the end to always be the best part. Thats why senior year of college was so amazing because I left at the top of the game when I felt happiest. Hopefully that will be the same for Korea. But yet I still feel so uncomfortable here in many ways. I don't think I'll ever get used to the shoving on sidewalks without so much as an "Excuse Me" in Korean of course or the staring (which as Tennyson pointed out, is understandable in children but when adults who know better, is ridiculous...moving on). But most other things about Korea, I'm getting used to.
Anywho, the observation which is of course rather obvious about Korea that I've just thought about has been the loss of anonymity. The place where I live here there aren't many foreigners so basically I stick out. The places I have been to a couple of times (like the coffee shop, movies, etc.), they know me. I'm used to blending in and looking like everyone else. I'll admit it is nice to be noticed because it gets people interested and curious about you, which I haven't felt before. But sometimes, I don't want to stick out.

3 comments:

Candy said...

hmmm.. Well, I don't have anything intelligent to say but I did want to say hi and I read your post :)

Sometimes anonymity IS nice, I agree.

Allie said...

I read it too! I can only imagine what it is like there, but I know you are a strong and wonderful person and even if you are a red umberella in a sea of blue ones you deserve to stand out and be special. I miss you!

CSmith said...

how apropo!

thanks for the mention! I miss you! You were always my red umbrella.

Oh, and adult staring = equivalent to way low south when a "foreigner" walks in. So now I'm thinking of Koreans as hicks!